Dr. James F. Pastor has extensive experience presenting before both professional and general audiences. As an accomplished author and gifted, passionate speaker. Dr. Pastor’s speaking career involves multiple thousands of hours in boardrooms, courtrooms, and classrooms. These supplement about 100 presentations at conferences and seminars, including:
- Society of Human Resource Professionals (SHRP)
- ASIS International (ASIS)
- Midwest Security Conference (MSC)
- Midwest Police & Security Conference (MPSC)
- National Petrochemical & Refiners Association (NPRA)
- Missouri Governor’s Conference
- Association of Threat Assessment Professionals (ATAP)
- International Association of Professional Security Consultants (IAPSC)
- Illinois Law Enforcement Alarm System (ILEAS)
- International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP)
- Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police
- Illinois Academy of Criminology
- American Society of Criminology (ASC)
- Northwestern University-Center for Public Safety
- Office of International Criminal Justice (OICJ)
- InfraGard-Chicago Chapter
- APEX Chicago Chapter
- ASIS Chicago Chapter
- ASIS North Shore Chapter
- Ronald McDonald House Charities
- City of Chicago
- Abbott Laboratories
- Rockwell Automation
- Strafford Publications
- Merrillville Neighborhood Watch Association
- SecureWorld Expo
Sampling of presentation themes and subjects including:
- Negotiating Security Services Contracts—Liability, Best Practices & Benchmarks
- Security Case Law & Liability
- Legal Issues in Private Security
- Premises Liability Considerations
- Guns in the Workplace—Legal, Policy & Training Issues
- Turning Security Threat into Competitive Weapon
- Workplace Security
- Food Defense- From A to Z in the Defense of the Supply Chain
- Domestic Terrorism & Extremism: Implications for Security and Law Enforcement
- Extremism: Assessments & Implications
- Terrorism & Workplace Security
- Terrorism & Tourism: Approaches to Survive & Thrive
- Terrorism & Public Safety Policing
- Business Name & Logo: your focus on forwarding “Jim Pastor” is something I appreciate. Yet, can we tie it to SecureLaw LLC, including doing some changes of the logo and tag line? I am thinking of something like: a Security & Legal Consultancy. Old logo images are attached in jpg and gif formats. Tying SecureLaw to Jim Pastor is useful because it provides a clear “brand” of what I offer: security combined with legal expertise.
- This would be supplemented by a Security & Safety Law page (see attached—I didn’t send this before thinking we would get to it).
- One other page is attached (Consultation), which would add to the context, and provides additional “niche” services (we can discuss if you desire).
Security & Safety Laws
Dr. Pastor’s broad and depth legal experience working in public safety and security is unique in the marketplace. As an attorney since 1990, with licenses in two states, and as founder of SecureLaw LLCsm, a Security and Legal Consultancy, he provides legal advice to clients, corporations, and communities.
Laws effecting security and public safety are complex and often require an intuitive sense and refined judgment. Partly due to its broad range of legal disciplines, answers raised by crime and misconduct are difficult to obtain, as the provision of security and public safety services and its attendant legal exposures are often dependent on circumstances, data, case law, and foreseeability.
Due to the wide range of exposures created by crime and misconduct, it is often difficult to balance legal requirements and security methods and protocols. For example, do you grapple with these:
- Crafting contractual and operational provisions can minimize liability exposures and ensure financial success.
- Reconciling workplace searches and privacy policies.
- Protecting your company from liability related for crime and misconduct.
- Developing standards and protocols to meet your duties and minimize your legal exposures applicable from violent acts, such as terrorism, extremism, and workplace violence.
- Dealing with use of force or making arrests, and the liability exposures are raised and how these can be minimized.
These, and others, related to crime and security are critical to effective risk management.
Understanding both legal principles and security methods coupled with an intuitive security “sense,” derived from decades of police and security experience, Dr. Pastor possesses an almost unique perspective that you can tap into. He approaches this multi-disciplinary subject with a consistent theme: control crime and its attendant legal exposures.
While some attorneys are versed on such issues, most do not have the depth and scope of security experience to provide appropriate counsel. This is a key focus of our business. Dr. Pastor can either work with your corporate counsel or advise you directly on security and public safety matters.
We maintain an extensive array of case law and resources related to Security & Public Safety Laws. Expertise is further illustrated in two important books authored by Dr. Pastor: Security Law and Methods, and The Privatization of Police in America.
This knowledge and work product is coupled with an intuitive “sense” for security issues, derived from decades of police and security experience. In this way, we approach this multi-disciplinary subject with a consistent theme: control crime and its implications.
We can assist your company with focused advice on the following:
- Contract drafting, review & negotiations
- Expert & Consulting expert consultations
- Policy & Protocol development, review, and revisions
- Search & privacy policies
- Arrest/Use of force policies